Saturday, February 18, 2012

Should I Stay or Should I Go


We meet these conditions every day (association with people who drink or places where alcohol is served sic). An alcoholic who cannot meet them still has an alcoholic mind; there is something the matter with his spiritual status. His only chance for sobriety would be some place like the Greenland icecap, and even there an Eskimo might turn up with a bottle of Scotch and ruin everything!
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS pp. 100-101
 
*****
Next thing I knew ...      
 Ironically, the term “Eskimo” in AA has come to be interpreted as “anyone helping us get to AA”. It has almost completely lost the meaning expressed in the Big Book. I can stretch the second meaning to say that an Eskimo helps us slip and a slip can get us serious about our spiritual development. It doesn’t matter all that much what tag people use. The point to me is that I don’t have to resent, avoid, or otherwise skirt alcohol if my sobriety isn’t dependent on abstinence alone. In the beginning it is wise to change playgrounds and playmates but I found it to be no big deal to be around others who are using, I even let one girl use my bathroom to shoot up. I was giving her safe haven to do what she was going to do anyway and that was my sole purpose. I wasn’t trying to get in her pants so much as this. My sobriety wasn’t threatened in the least because I was led by the spirit of compassion before any sense of moral propriety.


geo, 4,628

No comments:

Post a Comment