Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Pain-Killers



*****

Alcohol is one of the least affective pain-relievers available to me today and prescription drugs hold out a much more seductive lure to most of us. The number of tragedies chalked up to the devastation of opiates in the news bears witness to their grip on some of our celebrities and quietly take down many more of the less notable among us. When push comes to shove, damn the consequences, I will; lie, doctor-shop, or resort to street drugs… use anything I can to get some relief from the continual and debilitating suffering of physical pain. However, if I choose to live, and I do… I know I can’t take that route. What then do I do about physical pain? The answers are not as simple as some of us would propose and are not at all that attractive to those of us who have had available instant gratification of drugs along these lines. Physical therapy and meditation practice (in tandem with an honest relationship with a medical professional) have proven to be my best prospects for coping with pain. There are medical solutions available to me today that were not there a decade ago and, furthermore, I have learned that pain is inevitable but suffering is not.

geo, 4,638

No comments:

Post a Comment