Sunday, February 5, 2012

We See Through the Glass Darkly


One of the most beautiful chapters in scripture can be found in Saint Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians, chapter thirteen, that ends with these three verses:

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known.
And now abides faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

See, hear, speak and do no evil.
There is a mountain of wisdom and meaning in these verses. Some would say that it pertains only to that time when all good Christians get to Heaven and all wisdom will be revealed to a gaggle of jumpin’ corpses. But, even within that frame, it tells us to simply grow-up and act in the spirit of Love.
I can recall an incident that occurred when I took my second year sobriety chip. Some other George had recently gone back to drinking a few days before. I took my chip but later heard that people were gossiping about me having the cheek to stand in front of my fellow alcoholics and taking a chip for two years when I only had a few days since my last drunk. When I first heard the rumor I was miffed, but, after I calmed down a bit, I became pleased that they were even talking about me. After all, my friends knew better of me. I knew better of me. But, more importantly, the Spirit of Recovery within my heart knew better of me. Why should I not have fun with it? But, more importantly, why should I care what folks with idle minds think of me?



geo, 4,615

No comments:

Post a Comment