Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Restoration or Anarchy from Within?



Occupy vs Tea Party
What if they are both right?
Spiritual practice, if done right, will restore relationships, not disintegrate them. Self-righteousness will be replaced by a new humility that seeks to understand rather than to demand I be understood. These are only a few of my greatest weaknesses because I hunger for attention and will use all sorts of covert manipulations to get others to notice me so that I can get my way. I suppose that these character traits are assets for a politician or an artist but they can become alienating attributes if overly exploited.
Alienation is the most pressing problem presented by the post-modern pro-techno-culture and the remedy for that is the restoration of unity in my personal affairs as well as the community I live in.
This ideal projects outward to politics and my political awareness best employs offerings of that unity. This means for me that I take an approach that employs an active humility; seeking union rather than finger-pointing and blame. In particular I ask myself when I protest, “What do I wish to replace the present order with?” And when I find myself defending the present order, “What can I do to remedy the situation?” Sure, I can beat my drum and occupy parks, block traffic and provoke mayhem; but wouldn’t it be more productive to seek ways to organize and elect folks who will enact measures that better represent such unity?
            Such unity and humility cannot be achieved if my own soul is at war with itself. In other words; put down my protest signs and smart phones; get off twitter and facebook for a few minutes and make peace with myself to simply breathe.


geo, 4,639

No comments:

Post a Comment