Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sit Down and Breathe


I once heard, from a friend, that there are no apostates as virulently cynical as those of us who were raised in the Church. This friend was talking specifically about Catholics but I have seen similar attributes from those who were born into other denominations. Nothing about spirituality could have attracted some of us towards faith, or quasi-spirituality, without us trying everything else. When I did dabble in the arena of faith, I did so as a skeptic and my critical thinking could have been a stumbling block. But then, addiction to booze and drugs caused my cynicism to become a sound foundation for a faith that works. However; my weakness here brought me to a place where a leap of faith transcended reason and landed me on the firm ground on the flip side of reason; free from the grip of alcoholism. Blind faith works best at this point of departure. The rest of my spirituality is based on the light of reason and demands that I sit down and breathe.


geo, 4,631

No comments:

Post a Comment