Monday, June 25, 2012

Clearing the Slate

I sit in a quiet place every morning and first review, through recited prayers that ask me, where have I brought hatred in lieu of love and so on? I'm speaking of what is called the Saint Francis prayer that has been adopted by the AA program as the Eleventh Step Prayer. The prayer walks my consciousness down a list of positive affirmations but stops me where I know in my heart I haven't met the standards described in it. This is not an exercise made to create guilt or remorse… though there are times when these are appropriate… but these words are employed to raise my consciousness towards action. Sometimes that action is merely to cease negative, self-centered, fear that lurks in wait behind all these trespasses. Making a mental note to take care of these matters, I can usually sit in peace. However, sometimes I am to sit until a higher consciousness directs my attention to the necessary action to take concerning this matter blocking the flow of serenity. True meditation is not an escape from these troubles but a most positive and productive way to start my day free of anxiety and doubt. I know I am doing well once I have cleared the slate and sit with the monkey chatter in my mind finally put to peace afterwards. A short plea of this kind is the Serenity Prayer:

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.


geo 4,803

No comments:

Post a Comment