Monday, June 18, 2012

Let Them Slip Away


STEP SIX:

"Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character."

"This is the Step that separates the men from the boys (or the women from the girls [sic])." So declares a well-loved clergyman who happens to be on of A.A.'s greatest friends. He goes on to explain that any person capable of enough willingness and honesty to try repeatedly Step Six on all his faults --- without any reservations whatever --- has indeed come a long way spiritually, and is therefore entitled to be called a man who is willing to grow in the image and likeness of his own Creator.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS (p. 63)

An Honest and Open Willingness is the How of this Step. Willingness is not to be mistaken for willfulness… most of us have already tried willpower. I tried with repeated failure to will myself sober for a so many compelling reasons..; family, friends, employers, police and judges. I can admit too that there are many who can do this on their own. They decide to stop drinking, doing drugs, smoking or several other vices, applying only a sheer determination of will. Those without the disease will find people like me to be weak… that we need an imaginary friend like God or a fellowship of addicts/ex-drinkers to weep with. This is the chief reason so many uninformed refuse to see alcoholism to be a disease. It is hard for them to grasp that there are those among us whose willpower can move mountains but can do nothing… absolutely nothing!... against our addictions. Ironically, I have erroneously thought I could overcome my alcoholism by will power alone too. I have also mistakenly imagined that my character defects were disposed of in the same manner I had failed at so many times with my drinking. Only after failing to do anything about even minor dependencies have I been able to surrender them to a Power greater than myself. Letting go and letting God simply lets them slip away.


geo 4,796

No comments:

Post a Comment