Sunday, June 17, 2012

Don't Fear the Rogue Elephant


GLIMPSE
AFTER
GLIMPSE

---- Sogyal Rinpoche

There could be no bigger mistake than to think that ignorance is somehow dumb and stupid, or passive and lacking intelligence. On the contrary, it is shrewd and cunning, versatile and ingenious to the games of deception, and in our wrong views and their burning convictions we find one of the deepest and, as Buddha said, most dangerous manifestations.

What do you have to fear from the wild elephant
Who can only damage your body here and now,
When falling under the influence of misguided people
                and wrong views
Not only destroys the merit you have accumulated in the
                past,
But also blocks your path to freedom in the future.

~
I don't have to go far to discover ignorance. I simply have to sit and look within. Before I meditate I ask myself, through the vehicle of what is called the Saint Francis Prayer: Let me be a channel of your peace… Where there is hatred, do I respond with love? Where there is wrong do I forgive? Where there is discord do I bring harmony? Where there is error… how did I encourage truth? That where there was doubt… where was my faith? Did I give hope to the downtrodden? Did I cast light on the darkness of sadness and despair? Where is my joy?
            Your solution, Dear Heart of Compassion, is to understand… to love… to forget my own comfort and desires for the meantime and forgive, not only myself, but, those who have troubled me. I will sit… allow the ego to give up the ghost and glimpse the infinite grace that lives forever as my heart becomes Yours.


geo 4,795

No comments:

Post a Comment