Saturday, June 9, 2012

The High Tower of Arrogance


TWELVE STEPS
AND TWELVE TRADITIONS
STEP FOUR
(Continued, p. 45)

If, however, our natural disposition is inclined to self righteousness or grandiosity, our reaction will be just the opposite. We will be offended at A.A.'s suggested inventory. No doubt we shall point with pride to the good lives we thought we led before the bottle cut us down. We shall claim that our serious character defects, if we think we have any at all, have been caused chiefly by excessive drinking. This being so, we think it logically follows that sobriety --- first, last, and all the time --- is the only thing we need to work for. We believe that our one-time good characters will be revived the moment we quit alcohol. If we were pretty nice people all along, except for our drinking, what need is there for a moral inventory now that we are sober.

~

I not only believed that I wasn't such a bad guy sober but that my troubles and excesses... even those caused by my drinking... were creative assets: i.e., my poverty was part of my chosen path; my spirituality… and I even imagined those excesses and abuses to be a stance against bourgeois conventions and morality… I was, after all, The Natural Man! I did have a few skeletons in my closet that were absolutely nobody else's business because I was square with them with whatever I thought of as God.
Before I sat down and put pencil to paper I had to look at this aspect of my behavior and that took a giant dose of humility that was driven, first, by the complete defeat brought on by this disease. When I saw the insane arrogance with which I had conducted my life and the trail of deceit, abuse of the kindness of others, outrageous behaviors and how they affected those around me I ceded and surrendered these to my Higher Power in the Third Step and plead to have them revealed with clarity in the Fourth Step.


geo 4, 788

No comments:

Post a Comment