Saturday, June 23, 2012

An Honest Humility


Letting Go... Holding On
I came to understand that this whole spiritual business of rejuvenation is about the restoration of relationships. First of all I had to make an honest connection with my innermost self by admitting my alcoholism. This would seem to be a simple matter and it is (but for all the manifestations of ego that stand in the way of an honest relationship with my Self). For me it was alcohol and drugs that were the powerhouses behind my delusions. For others (I can't speak for them) there are a multitude of other wild manifestations of materialism that can stand in the way of freedom for the less extreme or obsessive. Even for the most perfectly pristine among us, it can manifest itself in what Chogyam Trungpa tagged "spiritual materialism". A death to self, a spiritual as well as a physical death, can strip away these impediments. Stripped of our persona, ... our masks, ... the mind stands naked for what it has always been; the architect of our reality.

Once the barrier of self is broken down, one way or another, a new relationship opens itself to a higher consciousness that some refer to as God. This is the Heart of Compassion that restores relationships with family, friends, debtors, rivals of every sort and the community around me; ever expanding into a universal appreciation and respect. After all, isn't humility just another word for respect? Respect for ourselves, respect for my fellow human beings, and that all radiates from a clear and present union with God.



geo 4,801





No comments:

Post a Comment