Friday, June 22, 2012

Mindfulness


Memory fails me but mindfulness doesn't. Memory is selective but mindfulness isn't. Careful attention to present behavior is essential for developing mindfulness. We in the West find it somewhat silly to take the extreme measures of causing no harm that is practiced in the East, even regarding insects. Karmic law, being what it is, can be best described in terms of how nature functions. It isn't as simple as "payback is a bitch" but such adages do much toward helping me with a perspective on it. When I make unreasonable demands for control over others, or depend of them, for things I can take care of myself, it sets up an attitude… karma, if you will, that saps the creative energy of mindfulness. Science is presently seeking out ways improve memory through pharmaceuticals and genetic engineering. Would that this effort results in mindfulness commends such research but, as I sit, I can develop mindfulness through humility… an open awareness of my relationship to the world around me.

Beyond selective memory or expectations...
I breathe.


geo 4,800

1 comment: