Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Spider Web of the Past


TWELVE STEPS
AND
TWELVE TRADITIONS

STEP EIGHT
(pp. 81-82)

… we can now commence to ransack memory for the people to whom we have given offense. To put a finger on the nearby and most deeply damaged ones shouldn't be hard to do. Then, as year by year we walk back through our lives as far as memory will reach, we shall be bound to construct a long list of people who have, to some extent of another, been affected…admitting the things we have done, meanwhile forgiving the wrongs done us, real or fancied. We should avoid extreme judgments, both of ourselves and others involved. We must not exaggerate our defects or theirs. A quiet, objective view will be our steadfast aim.

~

Chogyam Trungpa refers to our direction as post-meditation practice. It is all about "carrying the path". In other words, he means, whatever happens in my life is included in the journey.
            It doesn't take much imagination to see where diseases such as liver failure or stomach ulcers are the result of past behavior. Before I run with excessive guilt and remorse I need to relax and understand that I was simply drawn into the web of desire... fulfilled or denied. I stray off the path… get into the briar patch and then struggle to get back out of the weeds. In the case of the aforementioned diseases we learn to live in the present. It is futile to blame ourselves or others for where I am now. Change or amends must be made… changes in diet or treatment... if my aim is to recover. Acceptance of my disease doesn't translate into inaction where these are concerned and neither does the fact that I recognize I am on a spiritual path. I am on the path towards freedom from the spider web of Maya and there are amends to make to stay out of the bush.



geo 4,805

No comments:

Post a Comment