Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Calling to Excellence


"It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
I was a kid when a boxer named Cassius Clay won the Olympic Boxing Title in 1960. When Clay met Sonny Liston, he shirked the usual false humility of most boxers in prefight interviews. He taunted Liston, calling him "a big ugly bear" in the manner of pro-wrestlers. His style of boxing was so unorthodox and flamboyant that many of us who loved boxing at that time were stunned as Liston when Clay danced around the ring to a victory over Liston, affirming his boast, "I am the greatest!" 


I was a track and field athlete then who adopted Cassius Clay's attitude, declaring before each race, "I am the greatest!" and ran like I believed it. I was even nick-named Cassius Doogs among my friends because of similar boasts. I came to believe, from that experience, humility was of no use in life because victory came of believing in my self.

            What I didn't realize then, but I do know for certain now, was that humility had nothing to do with a hang-down submission. False pride and false humility is the same creature. True humility does not trump true pride. In fact, true pride and true humility are intimately connected. I can't achieve anything of value unless I take pride in what I do. No carpenter, no artist, no poet, no steel worker, no mother or father, no addict or alcoholic in recovery can do well at their calling to excellence without humility to learn and take pride in what they do. If I improve... hone my skills... believing I can, the world opens up to me. If I accept mediocrity then mediocrity is all I get out of my life. Cassius Clay was "the greatest" and he had taken enough pride in himself to submit to rigorous training from twelve years of age to achieve his goal of becoming the greatest of his time. It takes hard work, humility and pride to be "the greatest!"

            True humility is what helps me see my self as I am and true pride compels me to excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment