Thursday, December 1, 2011

"Baby-Proofing" the Mind


It is often said that the addict/alcoholic’s mind is a dangerous neighborhood to go into alone. Oh, Really? Any recovery that does not clear away the horrors and diversions hidden there cannot be complete. Before I go any further, rest assured, I can affirm the truth to this adage but resist with a passion the misguided notion that we ought not go there at all or that, if we do venture there, it is either  a hazard or at best a vanity for us.

I call my meditation practice “baby-proofing” the space between my ears; clearing away all the sharp edges and taking out things that are harmful and opening up the dark closets and secretive places to make it safe. If there are any obstacles blocking the direct transmission of compassion from the heart they are the boogeymen I have not confronted in my mind. Once I shine light on these phantoms they evaporate and what was once a dark place to venture becomes a playground for creativity and joy. Meditation is not merely relaxation and quiet time for me but it is a vital exploration I take in unity with my Higher Power.

1 comment:

  1. "where there is darkness, may bring Light"
    Wisdom comes suddenly, but it must be sought.
    Lots O lots O ""blind spots" still to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete