Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday, December 13, 2011... AS BILL SEES IT: 210, Out of Bondage


 
[1]At Step Three, many of us said to our Maker, as we understood Him: God, I offer myself to Thee --- to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that my transcendence over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy power, Thy love, and Thy way of life. May I do Thy will always!”

We thought well before taking this Step, making sure we were ready. Then we could commence to abandon ourselves utterly to Him.

*****

[2]I find it interesting that this prayer is altered by one word from the Big Book: the word transcendence replaces victory. In giving this some thought I believe that transcendence describes the experience of the Third Step better than victory because transcendence doesn’t ask that my difficulties be obliterated or defeated. Rather, my experience has been, that I can rise above them. The difficulties are still there. In fact, the people I would wish to help can see them and how they don’t afflict my sobriety. Instead they compel me further into the embrace of my relationship with God.

If I had no difficulties then how would anyone believe that I have had any problems in the first place? We have heard them protest; “But I have real problems. If you had my problems you would drink too.” I have witnessed my fellows go through divorce, the death of loved ones, terminal cancer, and their own children’s suicides. I have seen all of these, and more, heart-rending tragedies endured; and, as these brave people did so, I watched that man or woman walk through it all with dignity and without drinking.


[1] ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 63
[2] geo, 4,564

No comments:

Post a Comment