Saturday, December 24, 2011

Experiance Trumps Opinion


When I listen to others explain spiritual principles, concepts, or visions of deity, I expect to hear them share their experience. My mind slams shut when I am proselytized by  opinions that are not from the heart. What I know of God is scrutinized by the same standards. If I haven’t personally experienced aspects of God, and only have opinions based on what someone else has written or said, no matter how holy the saint or sacred the text, then I am speaking from my head and not my heart about something I have no actual relationship with. 
I can say that I have experienced a seemingly serendipitous set of coincidences and felt an amazing release from the neurosis of alcoholism but I do not have a tag for it. I use the word God at times to explain this phenomenon but I prefer to call this power, The Spirit of Recovery. This removes the baggage that sometimes comes with this simple three letter word, God, for me. However, my experience does not grant me the permission to dismiss the experience of others; however fantastic or grand. Thus, coming from the heart, the truth of its bearer is to be respected.


geo, 4,574

No comments:

Post a Comment