Thursday, December 29, 2011

Love? God? Compassion...


 Love? It is an oft used word, like God, that is hardly understood at all. It is hardly understood at all because the word covers so much territory and carries so much baggage with it. 

Whenever I hear myself, or someone else, say; “I love everybody!” I am cautious. I fear I will be required to return their frequently misunderstood conception of what they believe love means and I become reticent to reciprocate. It is the same for me with the word God. The two are interchangeable in my mind. I’m inclined to use compassion more easily because I don’t have to think about its meaning. I instinctively know that Love and God are actions too; but, because of a lifetime of indoctrination, I hardly understood them that way at all. Compassion embraces the action and I automatically see the expansiveness of caring… deeply caring… without bringing with it any baggage of expectations, fear or churchy do-gooding. Compassion is a connection I make with the world around me and expresses itself immediately or not. I pray, or meditate, to be open to compassion and to be able to move with it.



geo, 4,579

No comments:

Post a Comment