Sunday, December 25, 2011

Have a Sacred Christmas

Many of us celebrate this day as the birth of Christ. To me it is the celebration of my own spiritual awakening… the birth of my spirit, the Christ within. The other three-hundred and sixty-five days of the year allow me the space to open up my own spirit and tap into the grace of that spiritual awakening. In that sense the cliché rings true, everyday is Christmas. I don’t have to wait for some Santa Clause vision of God to grant my wishes because my wishes don’t matter as much as the hope to pass on what I have found. It isn’t so much that I don’t have hopes and wishes for myself but, rather, my hopes and wishes take second place to the vision, the passion, the power and the grace of the Spirit of that Christ that was born in my heart.

The word Christ is from the Greek adjective, Christos, and it literally means, anointed one. Poets, philosophers and great minds of all sorts (athletes and warriors too) were said to be anointed with the spirit. Olive oil would be ceremoniously poured, or dabbed, over their heads as a public recognition symbolizing this spiritual anointing. It would not be improper then to call Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Muhammed Ali and Alexander the Great a Christ in this sense. It would also be easy to say that awakening the Christ within would then be an act of grace and an anointing: a christening of sorts, eh?

geo, 4,575

No comments:

Post a Comment