Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Face I Know


I look in the mirror and see a face I barely know. How did it get this way? Can I smooth out the wrinkles or contours? Before I go any further with this, I can say that I am content that I have earned my age but I know that only a few cosmetic changes are possible concerning my image. Is this true too with the inner workings of the mind? Haven’t I developed over the years a lifetime and plethora of behaviors I can do little more to erase than the wrinkles on my face? I can’t turn back the clock and correct every personality trait but I can smooth them out a bit. If a spiritual regimen does so much for me as to simply make it easier to live with myself, I am more than pleased. This business of asking for forgiveness of God is silly to me. Isn’t it better to be forgiving of others for their derelictions than to pretend I am sorry for my own? I’m not proposing that guilt has no place but it often blocks, through maudlin genuflections, the clear recognition of what I can change and what I must rely on a Power greater than myself to do for me.
 
P.S.;I need to ask my Dad where he was 70 years ago today and thank him for his service.

No comments:

Post a Comment