Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bozo's Ride


Spiritual competitiveness can be as harmful to me as any other character defect. It is the dynamic that causes me to strive at being better than anyone else at this business of the awakening. First off, it can be a terrific drain on the pocket-book. Just go to a spiritual supply retail shop featuring bells, cushions, incense, meditation tapes and all the trappings of a so-called spiritual life. It isn’t so much that these items are sold but that they are for sell at exorbitantly high prices. I could go on… but even subtler than this is the competitiveness of having a better grasp on the texts, of being of service at higher levels or having a following… a gaggle of sponsees hanging on every word… praying louder, chanting more harmoniously or having the countenance of the saints in all the pictures. I am more impressed by the quiet ones who humbly replace the candles on the altar than by the robes of the priest. These things can keep me busy… so busy I can forget I am just one of the Bozo’s on this bus.

geo, 4,603

No comments:

Post a Comment