Monday, January 30, 2012

The Politics of Spirituality


I was opinionated on all matters big and small before it happened… it, the big celestial... whack! As a product of the Sixties I had been involved in the anti-war, anti-nuke and anti-anythingthatmoves movements before and after my military enlistment. Even so, my political beliefs have been iconoclastic and have shifted from left to right to left and the middle, depending on how I felt at the moment.
 I do know that there was a certain open-minded contempt for one-sided politicos involved in my attitudes that segued nicely into the spirituality of inclusion I have been embraced by since then. What gives me pause for thought today is that I have become apolitical. I had always contended that to stand in the middle-of-the-road is to leave oneself open to being run over by traffic going both ways! But I have not become apolitical out of indifference or because I am unschooled on the issues. Rather, I have become aware of my own ignorance on matters I was so damned sure about at one time.
This attitude might change in the future but I do hope that my political opinions, whatever they might be, will not be compelled by the temptation to insist that others think as I do.

geo, 4609

No comments:

Post a Comment