Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Beloved is the Young Hart... Song of Soloman


Daily Meds: 1/25/2012

I never was much of a deer hunter. I didn’t necessarily enjoy taking the life of another sentient being. My dad took me with him when I was a boy and, as we hiked out in the autumn air, I reveled at the raw beauty, the fresh air smells of the forest, the feel of a rifle in my hands… the whole scene… walking stealthily, careful of each step, and most of all, sitting at a stand… a place above a known game crossing… breathing the crisp fall air… listening so intensely that my heart-beat seemed so loud it can be heard for miles…. waiting for that moment… that brief flash of a white tail or glimpse of a flank… rifle at ready… aim!

I don’t hunt deer these days at all but the way I meditate is a similar experience to hunting. I sit quietly. What am I waiting for? Why am I so silent? Why am I stilling my mind? What am I focusing on?

The Song of Solomon says it best: “My beloved is like a roe or a young hart; behold, he standeth behind our wall, he looketh forth at the window, showing himself through the lattice…”

Ever elusive is this conscious contact with God to me. It is a hunt that requires quietude. It requires that I am still and alert… an awakened being. Enlightenment is only the beginning of the quest. It is the first step and not the end… the flash of a white tail or glimpse of a flank. It is the awakening

geo, 4,604


No comments:

Post a Comment