Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Opening of the Heart of Compassion


When the opening of the Heart of Compassion occurs, it is often hardly recognizable. Perhaps at breakfast the jelly on toast has a peculiarly marvelous texture and taste that wasn’t noticed before. At such times even, the uncontrollable urge to let the person sitting at my table know that I love her/him so very deeply it can hardly be expressed: going to work becomes an experience of giving to be helpful: being alone with a suffering fellow creature becomes a sincere devotion to the easing of that suffering.

Of course, the Opening of the Heart of Compassion is a distinct experience, there is also another one that is the Closing of the Heart of Compassion. This closing usually happens to me when I sink into self-centeredness, self-pity, self-righteousness, self this or self that. To be considerate of others before my own interests does not mean I forsake my own concerns. Rather it means to place the priorities in order so that I might live happily and peacefully among others on this beautiful blue marble we call home.


geo, 4,588

No comments:

Post a Comment