Monday, January 2, 2012

Meditation: Simply Breathe


Meditation is the best asset I have as a tool for self-appraisal. We live busy lives and it almost seems a waste of time to take a few minutes out of our day for “navel gazing” to just simply breathe. How can I take a good look at myself if I don’t take the time to appreciate the flow of air in and out of my lungs? As I sit, focusing on my breathing, the monkey chatter calms down… time takes a break… my plans for the day fall into perspective… the sense of well-being, I so desperately try to grasp through frantic binges that are constantly beckoning… that too falls into place. Welling up from the depths of my core arises an authentic caring… a loving self-appraisal and sense that I am being moved by a power greater than myself... makes itself apparent. Just as it takes time for a tennis racket to become an extension of the arm, the practice of meditation takes time to become a vital extension of who I am and, not unlike the racket to the tennis pro, it eventually becomes me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment