Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sitting Quietly with No Expectations


At one time I had this impression that in order to meditate it had to be done in a difficult yogic position and that I had to be of pure mind and body in order to have fantastic out-of-body experiences as the result of these practices. Perhaps, I thought, I might even attain to some sort of super-human abilities such as ESP or levitation. Who knows, maybe I would eventually see the essence of the godhead and transcend ordinary life altogether!

These expectations were all vanity. All I had to do in order to meditate was to simply divorce myself from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives, and sit. How to do this takes some effort on my part but any difficult task is accomplished much easier if the proper tool for the job is employed.

Sitting quietly with no expectations can be accomplished by first applying formal prayer. Formal prayers, such as the Lord’s Prayer, are another thing altogether from casual, conversational, prayers. Formal prayer separates my mind from personal desires and opens my mind towards transcendence from self-centered pleas or petitioning. My mind is then cleared so that I can actually meditate free of the monkey-chatter that occupies much of my thought-life.

To be continued…



geo, 4,590

No comments:

Post a Comment