Thursday, January 5, 2012

Leave this sainthood business to neurotic overachievers...


Sometimes I wonder if all this talk about moral or spiritual perfection isn’t just another piece of unique delusion I can go through. Am I thinking that I can overcome the simple fact that it isn’t such a bad thing to be human? If I am truthful, I know that I don’t really want to walk on water as much as I want others to think I can. Who am I fooling? Isn’t it enough that I don’t murder; don’t rob or mug people; don’t engage in demeaning or otherwise self-destructive behaviors? I can find myself backed up between the proverbial rock and a hard place and still try to wrangle my way out of it without taking care of business.
Taking care of business is about as close to perfection as I can imagine at this phase of my life. I’ve given up on sainthood and certainly have made enough of a mess of it, at one time or another, to figure out that I’m better off simply accepting my humanity. I’ll leave this sainthood business to neurotic overachievers… thank you very much.


geo, 4,486

No comments:

Post a Comment