Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Burning Bush




I believe it might have been my Catholic rearing that gave me the impression that any legitimate spiritual awakening would be of the Burning Bush variety. That impression brought with it the notion such an event ought to bring with it super-human powers to heal, to levitate or to walk on water.

After abandoning the childish notions of a transformative shot from heaven, I then read into Eastern spirituality (i.e., Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda) a similar take on spiritual abilities. Then I read Buddhist texts. There I read about how a variety of sages experience something translated as “enlightenment”. These too were sudden moments in which the disciple would be transported into a new awareness. I read a story about spiritual competitiveness in which one monk challenged a sensei named Bankei, boasting: “The founder of our sect can perform all sorts of miracles.” 
“I can too,” answered Bankei, “When I feel hungry, I eat, when I feel thirsty, I drink.”

I agree with Bankei because I too can now enjoy life. Isn’t that a miracle?”





geo, 4,605

No comments:

Post a Comment