Friday, January 20, 2012

Pause When Agitated or Doubtful


Sometimes I have to step back and take a deep breath… taking a walk is good…. It is easy to go along with that when I am not under duress. This idea of pausing when agitated or doubtful works real well on paper; however,  when I am agitated or doubtful my hair-trigger goes off. It is too late to do anything about it except to humble myself and apologize. Making an amends is not likely to happen then either unless I have the luxury of time and a bit of distance between even mild agitation and my short fuse. Putting space between that stimulus and response is precisely why the regular practice of meditation is so important. Emotional balance is one of the first fruits of meditation and emotional balance is the attribute I lack when I am challenged. I suppose that this is why we call meditation a practice. I suit up and practice for those few brief minutes when the whole world seems to collapse around me after I get off my cushion and step out the door.



geo, 4,599

No comments:

Post a Comment