Saturday, March 3, 2012

Could I Have Gotten God's Address Wrong?


The Heart of
compassion

As for the proper way to pray: I had always thought it particularly cruel of a supposedly loving God to leave us floundering around without knowing how to pray rightly. How could that be? It smacks of magical thinking to consider that I might have gotten the formula, or the incantation, wrong: or that I was leaving something out: perhaps I even might have had the name of God or His/Her address wrong!

The truth is that it was none of the above. It was nothing more than a matter of the heart. Whenever I have honestly surrendered my will to that of the Heart of Compassion, those prayers were answered unequivocally. It has nothing to do with the words or the form. It has to do with my honest intention. At last, when I prayed through the fog of doubt on that day the desire to drink was lifted and my alcoholism was relieved, I didn’t pray to stop drinking so much as I prayed earnestly... it went something like, “… give me the direction and I will follow.”

geo, 4,631

No comments:

Post a Comment