Friday, March 30, 2012

Postponing Preperation


Passing

At first it seems to be a morbid reflection to do anything but  postpone any thought about how I meet my ultimate demise. Preparing for death at first glance can look like deference to living. However, I have never seen any world leader as full of laughter and grace as the Dalai Lama and he is quoted in my daily reflections today, *“We cannot hope to die peacefully if our lives have been full of violence, or if our minds have mostly been agitated by emotions like anger, attachment, or fear. So if we wish for a peaceful death, we must cultivate peace in our mind, and in our way of life.”
*Glimpse After Glimpse: Sogyal Rinpoche
Taking a few minutes to sit with my emotions each morning and sort them out has been has been how I have started my day for the past thirteen years. I can attest to the fact that I did not become as at peace with myself as I am today when I first began meditation practice. Truly, the first few months were almost traumatic at times as I filtered through what percolated up into my consciousness. But, no matter how disturbing, my sessions always close on a positive note. These provocations have become minor speed bumps for the most part as I have learned to manage and expel my past behavior and replace them for new ones. A speed bump is there to simply slow me down… pause, reflect and amend.


geo, 4,657

No comments:

Post a Comment