Sunday, March 18, 2012

Defenders of the Faith


Enough to drive a sane man
to drink!
Now and then I run into what I call,“defenders of the faith”. The truth is that any faith worth having needs no defense. If my concept of God is one that is so shallow and weak that I have to make sure others accept and believe in it, then it says as much about me as it does my Higher Power. My actions are the best display of the power and majesty of the Spirit of Compassion and it is the collective actions of those of faith with whom I associate that I grow with that demonstrates my faith. My associates in faith are drunks, addicts, CEO’s of corporations, homeless bag-ladies, church goers, strippers, police, judges, hookers, prosecutors, bank robbers, bank tellers, housewives, Republicans, Democrats, anarchists and so on, ad infinitum. We come together with one purpose and that is to stay sober and to help another alcoholic on the way to spiritual enlightenment. Who would I defend such faith against? What idea is so devilish that I fear it more than I trust the Power that relieved me of this disease? No, my faith needs no defense other than the example of the life I lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment