Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Forgiveness Trumps Tolerance


A Paradigm of Values
Transcends All
Forgiveness goes beyond mere tolerance because tolerance presupposes a disposition towards a hierarchy of superiority in my mind. Tolerance says I am right and you are wrong but I’ll live and let live with you Cretans. In these cases, I have found times when tolerance is absolutely necessary for my own well being. However, my life functions on a higher plane of spiritual reality when forgiveness is applied graciously to those whose opinions and behaviors are offensive to me. A higher plane of spiritual awareness presents a whole spectrum of priorities (a transcendent paradigm, if you will) that can only be dragged down by resentments, no matter how petty or grand. After all, I have been touched by the grace of the Spirit of Compassion and know in my heart that I didn’t get here because I am spotless in the conduct of human affairs. If I can expect the heap of offenses I have committed against God and humankind to be forgiven then it ought to be an easy thing to offer freely the grace of compassion to my fellows.


geo, 4,648

No comments:

Post a Comment