Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Best Thinking


We often hear it said in the community of addicts and alcoholics, “My best thinking got me here.” This usually evokes a few laughs among us but I sometimes cringe when that thought is expanded upon and supplemented by the implication that we ought not think at all. Three million years of human evolution developed a fantastic organ between my ears that, like any sophisticated tool, can be used to great affect if used properly. That is what the dharma path, or the Twelve Steps, does for me. Becoming spiritually awakened did not exclude becoming mentally equipped to deal with the realities I face in my daily affairs. Frightfully, it is egocentric ignorance that is the most devilish among my keepers of this cage I constructed restricting everything that separates my spirit from that of the Sublime. This effort… this discipline… takes mental acuity as well as spiritual awareness.


geo, 4,653

No comments:

Post a Comment