Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The New Year


In Gharachak Prison there are four toilets
for 600 women
Another woman, Shahla Jahad
was executed after
3,063 days in Evin Prison.
The people of Iran hold this day, the vernal equinox (Naw-Ruz), to be the New Year. On this day, I have been told by a friend from Tehran (pre-revolution), the families; Christian, Muslim, Bahai and Zoroastrian, brought a feast and gathered around a fire in the mountains to celebrate. At some point they prepare for the year ahead and each leap over the fire to leave their past behind. The people of Iran have been doing this since long before Alexander defeated the Persian Empire over two-thousand years ago. It is a rich, cleansing, tradition that I have been able to participate in here in Santa Barbara. I have found that the people of Iran are generous, tolerant and so very loving. It is a shame that the revolution brought such misery to this people. I do pray for them and hope against hope that we find peace and are able to assist in taking out that oppressive leadership.

I am sometimes asked, “How can you claim to be spiritual and promote actions that require violence?” My answer is simple, “I don’t.” I think of those who have been imprisoned, tortured and murdered by the Mullahs who rule that country today. The Spirit of Compassion moves me to seek a solution and that solution comes from the people.


geo, 4,649

No comments:

Post a Comment