Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Follow Your Bliss... Here and Now


When Joseph Campbell posited that we ought to “follow our bliss” it was taken to mean that we drop all responsibility and go there… no matter where our bliss takes us. There is, of course, a certain amount of truth to this admonition but there are hazards too. If I have a marriage that is only so-so (not bad, not good)… perhaps a couple of kids… a mortgage that has to be paid… all of these and more… following our bliss would be a self-centered use of will at best. It just could be that following my bliss would mean something that is not at all apparent if happiness is our single purpose. It could just mean that I renew the spark of love in the marriage…. get creative in raising our children... finding that satisfaction and purpose in my job and taking responsibility for where I put my hands. Following my bliss can mean changing nothing on the exterior… I don’t have to take the next plane to an Ashram in India… I can follow my bliss in the here and now… the Heart of Compassion is everywhere and it is where I am and with what I am doing. I have everything I need to launch out on the Hero's Journey to find the Golden Fleece... the Spirit of Recovery is at my desk where I sit today.



geo, 4,642

No comments:

Post a Comment