Saturday, March 17, 2012

"Justifiable" Anger


The Trinity Explained
“Justifiable anger” is my greatest shortcoming… this is especially so when on the phone with a semi-anonymous service representative for any agency: government or private; i.e., remote utility companies such as a telephone company. But I have been known to blow a fuse at work or in other circumstances where I am positive I am right and you are wrong (especially where politics are debated), whoever "you" are. The idea that my anger, or heady emotions, can’t be trusted runs deep in spiritual practices universally. It is a given that I am so much better off if I step back and take a deep breath… pause when agitated or doubtful. I can think of a myriad of perfectly good reasons to lean into the offender and bully my way though the situation or I can expand my vision and enter that person’s frame of mind: In other words, I can see myself and ask, "Who is this character barking at me (yes, as though this person is me)?" This way I am not provoked by guilt or blame for my failure but motivated by compassion. After all, I can’t afford the luxury of anger any longer. My fear is that I will become a crabby old fart with no sense of humor and anger takes me down that road no matter how justified it is.

P.S.
We can celebrate this day as an Irish holy day instead of a day of drunken debauchery. That is the way it is honored in Ireland. It only became the way it is in this country when the non-Irish saw us  as cartoon characters in America saw our sacred holiday as a way to let off steam (yes, my mother is Irish from Newfoundland... I know, everyone claims their Irish heritage today... even if they have not one speck of Irish blood in their veins).


geo, 4,645

No comments:

Post a Comment