Saturday, April 14, 2012

Arrogant and Aggressive Evangelism


Arrogance and aggressive evangelism infects most of us at one time or another. I am, of course, speaking for myself. When I look at it… really look at it, the driving force behind this dynamic is my own conviction that I am right and others are naïve, uninformed or mistaken. I can be open-minded as any saint on spiritual matters but as blind as a bat for my own convictions otherwise. My political views (no matter whether they were conservative or liberal) were set and had iron-clad reasoning behind them. If I became open-minded about what I believed I saw myself as wavering or flip-flopping in my opinions. It wasn’t in my constitution to accept what others thought, whether they were tree huggers or loggers. Everything was black or white and to suggest there might be an in-between seemed a cop-out to me. To get to the core of such aggressive behavior, passive or not, I had to take a good look at my fears and self-righteousness in all matters. To open my eyes to the will of the Heart of Compassion is my calling and that calling is what keeps me sane and sober.


geo, 4,672

No comments:

Post a Comment