Saturday, April 7, 2012

Subterfuge of Ego


Salvador Dali
Illustration for Don Quixote

I thought of myself as bold, adventurous and above the petty concerns of bourgeois society when I launched out from the safety of the home of my family. Perhaps it was courage but it could have also been an overdose of immaturity. I was a romantic who wanted to take the world by storm and become the next most famous artist. When that goal was denied me, I drank more and the more I drank the further away my dream had become. I became an artist alright… a petty con-artist… whose only contribution to life was to become skilful at taking from it and rarely giving back. At fifty-two I looked in the mirror and saw myself as I was... it wasn’t the most prettiest picture I could have painted.

Today, I look in the mirror of sobriety, meditation, and the Dharma path that chose me,  and I see through the disguise and subterfuge of ego, allowing the light of compassion touch my heart. Bathed in that light I can see my character defects for what they are and realize that compassion requires that I forgive myself of my humanity. I can the stand up and go out into the world where forgiveness is extended to those I come in contact with and those remote and impossible to reach. The solution to all my problems being acceptance, and acceptance leading to rational solutions, I have been growing up and I no longer even want to be on the top of the world but to simply be productive within it. 


geo, 4,665

No comments:

Post a Comment