Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Particulars of Faith


I was suspicious of the motives behind any so-called open-minded approach to spirituality. I wondered whether I would be taken to a back room where "they" would try to convert me to “The Faith”. This was my fear and, when I hear anyone proclaim this or that one as their “Lord and Savior”, my mind slams shut against anything else they have to say from there on… for good or for bad. That is why I am trying to disallow myself from talking about the particulars of the path I have chosen in this blog. Such proclamations are still an annoyance to me but I have taken measures by evaluating all the different versions of God and the religions I abhor, taking inventory of my reactions to my own fears and self-righteousness, to insure that this resentment won’t drive me away from my any fellowship. Taking this action extracts the vitriol of my distaste and opens my mind to at least tolerate the religious fanatics in any fellowship in which the core beliefs are centered on The Heart of Compassion. It takes patience and tolerance but these qualities work in helping those who need faith to relieve their suffering no matter what that suffering is: i.e., It is more important to be a helpful friend to an alcoholic or addict than it is to convert them.



geo, 4,668

No comments:

Post a Comment