Monday, April 16, 2012

To Stand for Nothing is to Fall for Anything


When I was a young man, toward the end of my enlistment, my anti-war fervor melded with my generation’s sentiments. Afterwards, as the Vietnam War wound down, my political and social perspective was hewed by that experience with the culture of corruption prevailing at that time. College followed and my beliefs weren’t all that different than other students at that time. In my late forties, disenchantment with my beliefs gradually shifted. I say this to point out that the fervor I expressed on both sides of my political opinions  had to be evaluated when I finally got sober. It wasn’t so much that one side was right and the other was wrong, but I realized that my beliefs were fueled, not so much by reason, as much as they were driven by resentment against authority of any kind.

I’m not implying that my friends on either side ought to drop their political and social beliefs. After all, an adage I still embrace insists, “To stand for nothing is to fall for anything”. My point is that I had to look deeply at where my anger and frustration with “things as they are” comes from. Where did resentment with “authority” get me in the end? I still question authority but I do so with the understanding that any authority is implemented by people and not monsters. I pray now for the oppressor today as well as the oppressed. I pray for the prisoners of conscience as well as I do for the prison guards. An important shift in consciousness arises as I do so.


geo, 4,674

No comments:

Post a Comment