Monday, April 2, 2012

The Dharma Path


I had no idea that living sober would be such a challenge. Perhaps I might not have bothered had I known. I did know that these AA folks talked about having a relationship with a Higher Power but I thought that going to meetings and being nice to each other was all there was to it. The concepts and principles in the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions posted on the walls of meeting places caught my attention. I thought, sure… sure, I can do that… more or less. But my mind grasped what this anonymity business was all about when I read the Twelfth Tradition: "Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personality". What was apparent then was that my own personality required that I obtain humility  enough to submit to a set of principles and that would require some kind of spiritual discipline. It would take more honesty, humility and compassion than I possessed at the time. It would take some work to open up to the Spirit of Recovery from which it flows and that work... that Dharma Path... is laid out for me in the Twelve Steps.


geo, 4,660

No comments:

Post a Comment