Sunday, April 1, 2012

Our April Fool



He was asked in the beginning, “Are you willing to go to any lengths to stay sober?” When he heard those words, "any length", he wasn’t able to grasp their full meaning beyond his immediate circumstances. But, when another drunk, still wreaking with that familiar day-old booze fragrance emanating from every pore like a skunk-sprayed dog, needed our fool to sit with him and help him through a few hours of the shakes… the  meaning sank in. The old fool didn’t try to sober up our drunk. The old fool didn’t hit him with the Big Book or evangelize the AA program. The fool just sat and listened… sat in silence… just sat. When the old fool walked away, drinking was not on his mind at all and it hadn’t been for more than a few days. He believes this was because he had been willing and happy, most of the time, to go to these lengths for another who suffers.

            I have heard others say that we oughtn’t to waste time with a wet drunk, and, I have been guilty of such arrogance too. But that is when I forget where I came from and how desperately alone I was then. When I am so busy; when my time is so precious; when my concerns are more important than my sobriety; that obsession to use will probably return. Nothing insures against this than taking a few minutes with another alcoholic in need of hope. I can use that experience as a reminder of how powerful our message is.


geo, 4659

No comments:

Post a Comment