Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Clearer View


Chogyam Trungpa
2/28/39 - 4/4/87
Died of Alcoholism

I love the how these high Himalayan monks put things. They talk directly and address the situation we face in words that we aren’t used to being expressed by our clergy or gurus.  My favorite is Chogyam Trungpa and today, in one of my daily meditations (365 Buddha), he is quoted as saying; “Renunciation is realizing that nostalgia for samsara is full of shit.” For those of us whose drinking led us down the path of destruction we are clear about what samsara is. To look back and long for the past, even to drink moderately, is insanity for me. For those without the alcoholic gene this might appear to be a glum proposition but it isn’t for me when I look forward instead of back. It ain’t so much that the view is so much better on this mountain trail… it is simply a clearer one. Being in the here and now becomes merely a matter of which way I face when I put one foot in front of another.


geo, 4662

No comments:

Post a Comment