Monday, April 23, 2012

My Own Private 9/11


When an AA member, sober less than a year, stepped alongside and engaged Father Ed in a spiritual conversation --- mostly about AA. As Father Ed saw, with relief, his companion was perfectly sober. And not a word did he volunteer about the Pearl Harbor business.
Wondering happily about this, the good father queried, “How is it that you have nothing to say about Pearl Harbor? How can you roll with a punch like that?”
“Well,” replied the AA, “I’m really surprised that you don’t know. Each and every one of us in AA  has already had his own private Pearl Harbor. So, I ask you, why should we alcoholics crack up over this one?”
 The Best of Bill (p. 22)
*****


My mind pondered, in the early months of sobriety, what it would take for me to be so distraught that I would be driven to drink. I thought about the love of my life, back then, who was addicted to heroin. When she slipped and started using again, I almost drank as I thought about the possibility that she might O.D. and even imagined what would be said at her funeral. Such morose reflections were my own private Pearl Harbor… but I did not drink. This occurred three years before 9/11. 9/11 was a real Pearl Harbor for the post WWII generations and far more traumatic than any personal drama I had previously conjured in my mind.
 I grieved... simply rode my grief... grief for the victims and their families… grief for the state of mind that steered those airliners and the horror of the passengers on board those planes... indeed, grief swallowed my soul and that kind of grief has its own process. I was stunned… so shocked that sorrow enveloped my mind and erased all thinking... . I rushed to give blood… I went to a candle-light vigil and quietly wept until people were provided a platform and microphone to share their thoughts. What I saw then jolted my consciousness from grieving while some stood to express anger and others made statements pleading for peace. I realized that, because of my own private 9/11, I allowed myself to grieve before jumping to anger or escaping that grief to my personal beliefs. Allowing myself to grieve was the greatest benefit of the spiritual awakening that lifted the burden of alcoholism in my own life.


[1] geo, 4,681

No comments:

Post a Comment