Wednesday, April 18, 2012

To Smile at Fear


O-sensei: Morihei Ueshiba,
melding.

My own self-deception can extend to the deception of others and  these hidden fears are the most difficult of all perceptions to expose and dispose of. It is my fear of change, fear of confrontation, fear that my beliefs are easily discounted, and so on and on that I am shaken and close off my mind; barricading against, or attempting to destroy, the fear that opposes me. The truth is often that I have nothing at all to fear if my attitude changes. The principle of melding, (I.e., expounded in the gentle martial art, Aikido),  can be extended to my daily meditations. Instead of opposing what I fear, can meet my fears and gently direct them around the protective force-field of compassion. Fears that I try to defeat directly weaken my compassion and can even turn me into a self-righteous and bitter old man no matter how sober I might be and free of physical addictions. It is fear that keeps me from the power of overwhelming joy of becoming complete with God. No tyranny, no oppression, no difficulty can take this companionship with that Spirit from my spiritual core if I smile at fear and respectfully turn it aside.




geo, 4,676

No comments:

Post a Comment