Friday, April 20, 2012

To My Dear Skeptics...


More than any other subject, none other has my complete attention than the nature of the universe and that of the prime mover’s relationship with it. I once saw it as indifferent rather than hostile and cruel. My mind would not change unless I could discover evidence to the contrary of this dismal prospect. Had there not been a series of “coincidences” that brought me to my knees in complete surrender, I would have no evidence in this direction at all.

An outside observer in a lab coat could contend that my experience was a subjective one with several physical and scientific explanations for it. I don’t see any constructive purpose in convincing this imaginary technician with a clip board otherwise. I was powerless over alcohol and was touched by the Heart of Compassion. I could contend that my dear skeptics, as sound as their reasons are, can also be touched by their own defeat and surrender. But it is the example of the positive transformation exhibited in my life, not the very personal spiritual experience itself, is the only argument I have that transcends the material proofs of the cynic.

Besides, I know of some very humble and moral folks, having no beliefs along these lines, who seem to have very little discernable neurosis in their lives. I am in awe of them and see no reason to convert them to my own beliefs at all. In that light, it is easier for me to see that people of faith are the “sick souls” and it is only the sick ones like me who have need for all this faith business.


geo, 4,678

No comments:

Post a Comment