Friday, April 27, 2012

Discretion and Honesty


Though my View is as spacious as the sky,
My actions and respect for cause and effect are as fine
   as grains of flour.
PADMASAMBHAVA

I shared a problem with my sponsor in the early months of my sobriety. He paused and gave some serious thought about it before he answered, “I’m not sure how to answer your question; will you allow me to ask my sponsor about it?” I was impressed by his answer. First of all because he admitted he didn’t have all the answers but mostly because he respected my privacy enough to ask me whether or not he could defer to his sponsor for an answer. He wasn’t asking to expose my concerns with just anyone. He was going to someone he knew and trusted to keep the strictest confidence. When I got home and meditated that night, I had a vision of a long tradition, a line of folks… a chain connecting us that went back to the very beginnings of this Fellowship… to that first meeting with Bill W. and Dr. Bob. It was a most powerful experience that binds me in trust to those who come to me in confidence. Because of this I have learned the principle of discretion and to ask permission of the queried before I share anything trusted in me with anyone.
This principle is sometimes a difficult one to adhere to. I.e., I was once asked by a friend jailed for a DUI who didn’t want his loved ones to know about it. It was a most difficult request because the people concerned are very dear to me and they might have been willing to help him. In this case I talked with my sponsor, giving it considerable attention in prayer and meditation. I knew I would look bad when it became public and others found out that I knew of it. I kept it to myself in the end even though I would have been justified not to. After all, none of these principles are chiseled in stone. The Heart of Compassion is flexible. I had a simple choice in this case: Was my reputation for discretion more important than what others thought of me?


geo, 4,685

No comments:

Post a Comment